The 2020-2021 Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) Test, Virginia Alternative Assessment Program (VAAP), and WIDA Access for ELLs Administration: At this time all state and federal tests scheduled for the 2020-2021 school year will be administered. Administration of theses assessments are a requirement for the Virginia Department of Education under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). (Source)
- Individual student assessments, please contact the School Testing Coordinator at the school in which the student is enrolled.
- Newport News Public Schools state testing implementation plan, please contact the testing office at email@example.com.
Spring SOL Administration Schedule
Please choose the appropriate parent/guardian letter link to view important SOL information.
Newport News Public Schools administers screening and diagnostic assessments to determine support needs and monitor student growth throughout the school year.
Please choose your child's grade to download an informational letter to families.
Education Equity: Eliminating the predictability of student outcomes based on race, gender, zip code, ability, socioeconomic status or languages spoken at home.
(VDOE. Adapted from the National Equity Project. Educational Equity Definition.)
- Equity Policy Development
- Superintendent's Equity Council
- Implementation of #EdEquityVA Framework
Collecting, analyzing and interpreting data in support of improving outcomes and opportunities for each learner.
Journey 2025: Creating a path for the Journey 2025 strategic plan by focusing on the present to create our future.
- Introduction of Journey 2025 to stakeholders
- Development and implementation of strategic plan key performance indicators
- Development of NNPS Journey 2025 data dashboard
- Student growth measure development
Our Mission & Purpose
Mission: The Department of Equity, Assessment, and Strategic Operations will provide schools, division leaders and stakeholders with information, research and resources to facilitate data-informed decisions that lead to equitable student outcomes.
Purpose: Provide high quality support and strategic leadership in the areas of:
Identifying and addressing inequalities that create barriers to student engagement and achievement.
Implementing and monitoring of our strategic plan Journey 2025
Analyzing data to support the improvement of the instructional program
Evaluating programs and processes for impact on student outcomes